Monday, October 17, 2005

Dancing Queen

On my way back home after browsing at a bookshop yesterday, I had to make an important decision. Do I turn right and walk to catch my bus, or turn left and catch another bus. I fancied walking left for a change and walk a mile or so and then catch my bus. Then I thought, sod it, I'll catch the first bus that comes along. At Trafalgar Square there was a huge crowd listening to some women singing "Dancing Queen" by Abba. Was it an Abba reunion? I had to get off the bus. I crossed over and entered the square.

How odd? There were thousands of Asian people (of Indian origin) in the square. Is it the Asian Abba fan club? What's going on? I heard someone wishing someone Happy Diwali. Oh I now I get it, it's the religious festival, Diwali, being celebrated not an Abba reunion. After the Abba song the next performance were some dancers; and no, they weren't dancing to an Abba song. I was slightly disappointed it wasn't an Abba concert until I was handed a goodie bag of Indian sweets, which were so yummy.

Funnily enough, my friend in India wanted to send me some sweets. See, V, I have received your sweets after all. Thank you.

And just for you, here are the lyrics to Dancing Queen.

You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life
See that girl, watch that scene, dig in the dancing queen

Friday night and the lights are low
Looking out for the place to go
Where they play the right music, getting in the swing
You come in to look for a king
Anybody could be that guy
Night is young and the music’s high
With a bit of rock music, everything is fine
You’re in the mood for a dance
And when you get the chance...

You are the dancing queen, young and sweet, only seventeen
Dancing queen, feel the beat from the tambourine
You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life
See that girl, watch that scene, dig in the dancing queen

You’re a teaser, you turn ’em on
Leave them burning and then you’re gone
Looking out for another, anyone will do
You’re in the mood for a dance
And when you get the chance...

You are the dancing queen, young and sweet, only seventeen
Dancing queen, feel the beat from the tambourine
You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life
See that girl, watch that scene, dig in the dancing queen
Happy Diwali, dear friends!

Lots of love,
Enocia