Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Expectations

While she was in Freetown, my mother said her relatives asked her whether I'd gained weight. She told them that apart from growing a bit taller I still look the same. Mum teased me that she could go away for years and when she returns I will still look the same. "Yes mum," I said, "that's what makes me an immortal and you a mortal." Hehehe.

Isn't it interesting how some people expect you to gain weight after a certain age? By now I should have ringlets of fat around my neck and a protruding backside that rolls about like a jelly. Then I will attract attention from guys.

It's the same old same old. When I lived in Sierra Leone, I was too skinny to attract boys' attention. When I came to London thin was in and I was considered attractive. Now, having a big butt is en vogue. Every other music video has women wriggling their butts at the camera. My butt is just right for my build. Any bigger and I would have to insure them. (Cheeky grin)

So I don't buy into cultural beliefs and expectations that I have to put on weight. If that means guys are not going to fancy me then so be it.

Sigh.

Enocia