Thursday, December 29, 2005

Forever in a Moment; When Things Fall Apart

Earlier today in the library, I came across a book I studied for O'Level Literature when I was in Sierra Leone. The book is called Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. It is about the impact missionaries had on a Nigerian village and its local customs and traditions. We get to see this transformation through the eyes of the protagonist, Okonkwo.

As far as I could remember, it took a whole year to study that book. At the time, I found it a difficult book to follow; it was filled with symbolisms.

Today I read it in one hour and could not only understand it, I could see the multi-layered meanings imbedded in the text.

What changed? Is the me that I am now that different from who I was at fifteen or sixteen? Do I understand more now because I know more?

I believe the education system suppresses one's innate intelligence that is beyond book knowledge and human understanding. When I was going through the system, it seemed natural for things to take time in order for me to assimilate the information in the book. Besides, we were also studying other books at the same time. And I wasn't exactly passionate about English Literature either; I only studied it because I had to. My favourite books at the time were romantic fiction but they were not on the syllabus, unfortunately.

I was curious to read Things Fall Apart from the space of being. The place of being is a state where "things fall apart"; being free of structures, formlessness.

So I don't think understanding has anything to do with me knowing more now, it's because I am being my real Self that is Intelligence.

It was effortless reading. I loved it.

Understanding is instant; it is only one's perception that makes understanding seem to take forever.

With love,
Enocia