Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Making Love

As a child, I was warned about avoiding strangers and not accepting lifts from strangers. This is true when you believe in the reality of good and evil. But when you realise that Love is all there is, there is nothing to fear.

Earlier today I went to catch my local bus but I saw I'd just missed it. I decided to walk to the next bus stop. As I was standing by the traffic light waiting to cross the road, a man in his car waved at me. He stopped his car, presumably wanting to speak to me, so when I crossed the road I walked over to him. He asked me if I wanted a lift. I said yes and I got into his car.

He asked me if I'd had a nice Christmas and I said yes. He asked me if I was married and where I lived. I told him I lived locally and I wasn't married.

"What about you, are you married?" I said.

"No, I am a playboy who drives around picking up young ladies," he said. Then he burst out laughing. "I'm married; we are all married."

"Are you happily married?"

"Yes," he sighed.

He asked me my name. I said Enocia.

"What's that in proper English?" he smiled.

"Enocia, like in Enoch."

He told me his name. We shook hands. He said my hand was cold and rubbed it hard to get it warm.

"Well, isn't this lovely?" I said. "I believe Love is all there is and there you go giving me a lift."

"Do you love me?"

"Yes, I do."

"Can I make love to you then?"

"No, I don't love you in that way."

"I know what you mean," he laughed.  "You love me as a person, right?"

"Yes, I do."

"I love you too," he said.

I asked him to drop me at a bus stop so I could catch my other bus. I thanked him and wished him the very best. He told me he loved me. We blew each other kisses goodbye and I walked away.

Making love is not always about exchanging bodily fluids, it is about sharing a moment of Love with a friend. There are so many opportunities to make love; so many ways Love is appearing. In this case Love was appearing as a "middle-aged white guy" offering me a lift, who also happened to be a wonderful companion.

I love making love, don't you?

Enocia

Related poems: As High as a Kite; Cherished Memories