Saturday, December 24, 2005

What is Time?

"For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night." (Psalm 90: 4)
Time is what we believe it is. Here are few examples to illustrate what I mean.

The other day I said to my mother that it's funny how the characters in the animated cartoon, The Simpsons, are always the same. It's been going on since 1989, yet the characters are stuck in the one long year. Bart is permanently at age 8 or 9; Lisa is still in the same class; Maggie is still a baby sucking on her dummy; Madge has still got her blue hair; and Homer is always being stupid Homer. The other characters in Springfield are also unchanging. You could say that the Simpsons' year is as long as the writers continue to produce stories; the producers agree to make the series; and the audience continue to watch them.

In the sci-fi series, Doctor Who, the Doctor travels in his tardis to different times and places in the galaxy. He is accompanied by his assistant, Rose. In one episode called Aliens of London, Rose and the Doctor return to Earth only to discover that they've been gone for a whole year. In Rose's mind they'd only been gone for a few days. Her boyfriend, Mickey, wasn't amused. While Mickey had known where Rose was, he couldn't tell Rose's mother or the police that Rose had gone in a tardis. He had even been suspected of murdering Rose.

I read the following in Science and Health.

"The error of thinking that we are growing old, and the benefits of destroying that illusion, are illustrated in a sketch from the history of an English woman, published in the London medical magazine called The Lancet.

"Disappointed in love in her early years, she became insane and lost all account of time. Believing that she was still living in the same hour which parted her from her lover, taking no note of years, she stood daily before the window watching for her lover's coming. In this mental state she remained young. Having no consciousness of time, she literally grew no older. Some American travellers saw her when she was seventy-four, and supposed her to be a young woman. She had no care-lined face, no wrinkles nor gray hair, but youth sat gently on cheek and brow. Asked to guess her age, those unacquainted with her history conjectured that she must be under twenty." Science and Health, p. 245: 1-15)
Five years ago I went through what I consider to be heartbreak. I was so depressed, I wanted to die. Maybe, I did die. From that moment on, something changed within me. I feel as if I have been stuck in that moment. In my mind, every day is the same one day.

A while back I met an old friend whom I hadn't seen in over ten years. She called my name but then she thought she was mistaken. She said the woman she knew should have aged by now. I called out her name and told her I was the same person.

Time is a belief that many people can share and experience.

In truth, there is only the one moment that lasts forever.

With love,
Enocia

ps: Here's the lyrics to a song I've just heard on the radio, which I happen to love. It is about how one can get stuck in time.

S CLUB 7 LYRICS

"Never Had A Dream Come True"

Everybody's got something they had to leave behind
One regret from yesterday that just seems to grow with time
There's no use looking back or wondering
How it could be now or might have been
Oh this I know but still I can't find ways to let you go

I've never had a dream come true
Till the day that I found you
Even though I pretend that I've moved on
You'll always be my baby
I never found the words to say
You're the one I think about each day
And I know no matter where life takes me to
A part of me will always be with you

Somewhere in my memory
I've lost all sense of time
and tomorrow can never be cos yesterday is all that fills my mind
There's no use looking back or wondering
How it should be now or might have been
Oh this I know but still I can't find ways to let you go

I've never had a dream come true
Till the day that I found you
Even though I pretend that I've moved on
You'll always be my baby
I never found the words to say
You're the one I think about each day
And I know no matter where life takes me to
A part of me will always be

You'll always be the dream that fills my head
Yes you will, say you will, you know you will
Oh baby, you'll always be the one I know I'll never forget
There's no use looking back or wondering
Because love is a strange and funny thing
No matter how I try and try I just can't say goodbye
No no no no

I've never had a dream come true
Till the day that I found you
Even though I pretend that I've moved on
You'll always be my baby
I never found the words to say (words to say)
You're the one I think about each day
And I know no matter where life takes me to
A part of me will always be
A part of me will always be with you Source