Thursday, January 05, 2006

Let Yourself Go

"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend." Bruce Lee
In a television advert for a travelling company the slogan goes: "Let Yourself Go."

Yesterday, I met this young lady who said she was Portuguese. She said she was learning English. I asked her how she was finding it. She said she finds it a lot easier to read than to speak as she doesn't know many people she can practise with. She said she only speaks Portuguese with her kids; and her neighbours tend to just say hello and goodbye. I said now that she's living in an environment where she's constantly hearing English around her, she'll be fluent in no time.

I later read an article in Pride about Tim Campbell who won last year's UK television version of The Apprentice, where 14 candidates competed to work with Sir Alan Sugar, Chief Executive of Amstrad. The article was the follow-up to the programme. Tim has not only successfully finished his first year as an apprentice, he's also been offered a permanent contract.

According to the article, Tim has been working as project director for a health and beauty division he helped set up. When asked how he coped with such a different role compared to his previous role as London Transport manager, Tim replied:

"Getting involved in health and beauty was a hard transition, but then all I had to do was fully immerse myself in that environment."
When Tim talks about immersing himself in an environment, I believe he is being one with his new environment; he is being health and beauty.

To be great at what you do, you simply have to be whatever you are experiencing. I wrote recently about how some actors lose themselves in their roles. This is what separates the men from the boys; the mediocre from the great.

Every day I experience a zillion images, sounds and smells with detachment. However, there are times when someone's comments, a dialogue, or something grabs my attention. I see this as an indication that an aspect of the Infinite is seeking expression. I then immerse myself in that situation and see where it takes me. I invariably end up writing about the experience.

For instance, in the last few days I've been walking about 6 miles. I have simply opened up to the walk and let myself be walked. The walks have been wonderful reminders of how when I let even a walk be me, every step is as fresh as the initial step. It's as if I'm being taken on a ride and I am always full of energy.

When I let myself go life is effortless. Ideas come easily. These ideas are different aspects of the Infinite being expressed as forms. Yesterday's idea was Grace.

When I am one with an idea or ideas, I am letting myself go.

Enocia

Related articles: Let Yourself Go - Part 3; Let Yourself Go - Part 2