Wednesday, January 04, 2006

What is Truth?

On New Year's Day while I was travelling on a bus, as usual, I heard this little boy asking his mum and dad where he was. It was his mother who answered his questions; his dad kept well out of it. Clever daddy!

"Where are we?"
"Fulham Palace Road."
"Where are we?"
"We are still driving on Fulham Palace Road, darling."
"Where are we?"
"We are in Chelsea."
"Where are we?"
"We are on the bus, sweetheart."
"Where are we?"
"We are still in Chelsea, but we'll soon be on the Kings Road where there are lots of shops."
"Where are we?"

His mother soon realised that the boy wanted details, so she called out various streets names as the bus drove by. The boy still kept asking where we were. When we got to the Kings Road, his mother pointed out the various shops.

Then they decided to play a game of "I Spy." I was quite surprised at first because I thought the boy couldn't read. The boy was the first to start.

"I spy with my little eye something beginning with People."

His mother pointed out people walking on the road. It was now her turn.

"I spy with my little eye something beginning with Blue."

The boy pointed out blue Christmas lights on shop windows and on trees.

"Aren't you a clever boy?" his mother said.
"My turn," the boy said. "I spy with my little eye something beginning with Ice Rink."

His mother pointed out a mini rink in a square for children.

They continued playing their game.

Now the boy couldn't read but his mother had played the game according to his level of understanding. If he was familiar with letters their game of "I Spy" would have been different.

As for the question of location, there are various ways one can interpret this. It is true that we were on a bus driving on the Kings Road. If I am going to be really pedantic, I would say we were on a bus on King's Road in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea in London in the South East in the British Isles in Europe on planet Earth in the Universe...everywhere present.

One could ask the same question about identity. Who am I? Am I my family, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, nationality, humanity, beliefs, thoughts, experiences, Gaia, the Universe, Spirit, Soul, Energy, Mind, God?

What is truth? That depends on what one is open to experience as truth.

With love,

Enocia